Great Fresh Egg Bake Off – The Savoury Round
7 eclectic but talented Fresh Egg staff
2 interesting cooking challenges
1 new kitchen
4 critical but fair judges
70 hungry taste testers
1. Allow contestants the luxury of cooking at home without the high pressure environment of the Fresh Egg kitchen, to warm up and develop their skills in the savoury bake off;
2. Following a tricky travel to the office the savoury pastry dishes will be judged by Fresh Egg’s resident giant, a fine connoisseur of food for his sheer need of quantity – but we are assured his appreciation is for quality and self-confessed lover of pie (Ben D); our own professionally trained queen of cooking (Chris P) as well as our savvy savoury P.R. princess (Laura) and fan of cooking and social media – although not always combined (Nazilla);
3. The judges will score the pastry creations focusing specifically on the taste, the pastry and presentation. After a small pause for consensus the scores will be announced;
4. Fresh Egg staff will be able to come and taste and vote for their favourite pastry as an additional People’s Choice Award.
The seven dishes and chefs were:
- Leek and sage sausage rolls by Steve
- Maple, bacon and blue cheese tart by Alex G.
- Caramelised onion and goats cheese bites by Kat P.
- Chicken and bacon pie by Alice C.
- Sausage rolls with mango chutney by Pam
- Semlor Cardamom buns by Dan C.
- Jamaican beef patties by Kim H.
The dishes were judged on pastry or bread texture and quality, filling and ingredients, presentation and finally the delight you get from eating the dish. Each criteria was rated from 1 to 5 (1-bin worthy/ 5- kill to get the recipe) and then the average was taken to achieve the final score and the top 3 dishes were announced.
The winner is….
In third place was Alice C. with her hearty chicken and bacon pie.
Second place was Kat P. with her tantalising caramelised onion and goats cheese bites.
But the winner was Alex G. with her glorious maple, bacon and blue cheese tart.
Well done Alex!
Don’t forget to join us next week for part 2 of the Great Fresh Egg Bake Off, where the challenge will be sweets.