Why not to use a Splash Page!
We have had a few customers ask for Flash splash / intro pages to their websites. Fresh Egg DO NOT recommend the use of them! Here are a few pointers as to why not:
* Reduces usability on the page
* Prevents spiders from properly searching the page and entering the site
* Very bandwidth heavy
* Very often causes problems for browsers
* Slows customer access to information they came to the site for
* More likely have slow load times than a typical page making to more likely for a prospective client to leave (4 sec wait time is the average)
* Lack of content on page leave bots with little to give to the SE after spidering making it less relevant in SERPS
* Little or no updates make content stale and discourages spiders from returning
* Your readers come to your site to enter it and a splash page prevents that.
* Many readers don’t like splash pages – and in some studies 25% of visitors left a site right after seeing a splash page.
* Splash pages break search engines. Since many splash pages only include a flash animation there isn’t a lot for a search engine to optimize on. And if you add content to the page in comments you can be penalized for spamdexing.
* The animation can be repetitive. Readers who have seen the flash don’t often want to sit through it again, but if you forget to include a “skip” option they will have to.
* While the flash movie or fancy animation may look really nice, the impression they make may be one of pretentiousness rather than detailing your skills.